The first Tasmanian group was formed in 1941, when Mrs Gwen Mullins, recently arrived from South Australia, met with a group of interested women in Launceston. Gwen Mullins suggested the group take the name Catholic Women’s League Tasmania and this was adopted by the attendees at the meeting together with a general plan of its purposes.
The purposes were:
- To enable Catholic women to get to know one another
- To assist them play their part in public life and;
- To engage in charitable works
Emphasis was placed on the spiritual side. Members were expected to belong to the Sacred Heart Sodality.
The Badge, a cross within a circle, and the motto, “In Omnibus Glorificeture Deus’ already chosen by the Launceston Branch, became the insignia of the state organisation. The motto was later changed from Latin to English – God be glorified in all we do.
The Catholic Women’s League of Tasmania, joined with organisations of Catholic women in other States to form the Australian Council of Catholic Women, later changed to Catholic Women’s League, Australia, which affiliated with the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organisations (WUCWO).
(Handbook of the Catholic Women’s League Tasmania Inc. 2001)
For more information on the history of the Catholic Women’s League, we recommend reading Women of Faith and Action 1986 by Ann Rushton Nuss published by Southern Holdings Pty Ltd Hobart, Tasmania. Click here to order a copy from fineprintbooks.com.au